1. объединение тени и ландшафта (Merged shadow and landscape – texturising the shadow with the landscape and blending them into a single object.).
2. сюжет (Narrative – using the shadow to tell a story.)
John Vink – Self Portrait 1986, Colorado
3. силуэты (Silhouettes – the classic indexical signifier)
Walker Evans – Shadow Self Portrait 1927
4. автобиографичные (Autobiographical – the photographer’s shadow in their place of work)
Rene Burn – Self Portrait
5. взаимоотношения (Relationships – the photographer’s shadow interacting with their subject)
Richard Kalvar – Paris. 2003. Buttes-Chaumont park. Shadow and sunbathing woman.
6. графичные (Graphical – pattern and shapes)
Martine Franck – Self Portrait
7. переходные (Transitional – where shadows and reflections meet)
Claude Monet Shadow on a Lily Pond 1920
8. тень творческой руки (The shadow of the creative hand - the artist includes a reference, in the form of their own shadow, to the act of creating the artwork)
Chris Steele-Perkins – London. Shadow self-portrait. 2001